Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Book Review "Go No Sen" by Jacques Antioine

**Disclaimer** ARR review. I received a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

This novel is not what I expected. It had a slow start, but once you got past the first few chapters which set up the rest of the book, it went well. I am impressed with the author's attention to detail when talking about the various martial arts that our heroine, Emily Kane has been trained in.

Emily is not your typical high school senior; she is a tomboy, she is a master of Kung Fu, Shotokan and aikido; she also kicks some serious butt!!

Emily's father, George Kane, is a bodyguard/chauffeur. George taught Emily to be able to survive, not only in the mountains and that surround when they live in the Carolina's, but also in life.

As the story progresses Emily has to deal with the information that her father tells her after their narrow escape from a group of commandos; after escaping and losing her father, she is back to school the next week. How many teenagers would have the courage to do that, let alone adults when faced with incredible odds.

Emily grows through the novel, she learns to trust her instincts more and to lean on her friends all while thwarting the attempts on her life and putting a few egomaniacs in their place along the way.

This is just the first novel of a series. I enjoyed reading about Emily and watching her grow as a young lady who finds and makes her own way.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Stephanie. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I think you're right, the book is slow at the beginning. I'm trying to address that in the sequel. I wrote the book for my daughter, a 12yo ninja, who really wanted me to talk about karate in detail. That inevitably gets in the way of quick development in a few places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving the chance to read it; it wasn't what I expected. How sweet to write that for her, I'm sure she is very proud. I loved that you made Emily relatable and a strong role-model for young girls and for Wendy in the book. Your daughter sounds like a well rounded young lady.

      Delete

Please be polite even if you disagree with what myself or other's have to say.